This is one of at least two murals in the village of Petty Harbour (on the east coast of Newfoundland). Like many of the historic murals in Newfoundland, it shows locals hard at work in the fishing industry – out in boats catching fish, on shore cleaning fish, maintaining nets, etc.
Scattered around downtown Midland Ontario are quite a few murals with scenes of bygone days. Many of these were originally painted by Fred Lenz in 1996 & 1997 and then repainted ten or eleven years later by Terri Milley and Ruth Hurdle.
below: Midland train station and railway yard.
In 1871 the area was the village of Mundy’s Bay. That year, the Midland Railway chose Mundy’s Bay to be the terminus of a new railway line – the railway already ran between Port Hope and Beaverton and they wanted to extend it to Georgian Bay. The small community of Mundy’s Bay was renamed Midland City. By 1879 the railway was completed.
below: Midland is on the shore of Georgian Bay which is part of Lake Huron. Lumber and grain passed through this harbour and the town prospered.
below: Sewing in the window, with a view of the woolen mill across the street.
below: European explorers and their First Nations guides canoeing on the lake.
below: A red and white lighthouse with a brilliant blue sky
below: Maybe when the first car came to town?
below: Above an Italian restaurant is this small picture of horses bringing logs to the saw mill to be cut into lumber.
below: HMS Bee, a schooner
below: A portrait of James Playfair. A the bottom of the pillar on the left: “A successful Midland lumberman turned to shipping in 1896. In 1901 he formed the Midland Navigation Co. In 1910 he established the Midland Dry Dock Co. renaming it in 1915 the Midland Shipbuilding Co to build ocean ships”. At the bottom of the pillar on the right: “James Playfair’s Company completed in 1917 a large new shipyard on the Midland Waterfront to build Government contracted ocean cargo steamers. The first one launched was the ‘War Fiend’ (1918-1920).”
below: Playfair Mills
below: Midland’s first post office opened in 1872
below: A tribute to Canadian Girl Guides
below: The cleaners, delivering clean clothes.
The murals were funded by Midland BIA & The Ontario Trillium Foundation